jdk8 in 2.6

Aleksandr Mashchenko
We discussed it before but it was quite some time ago. How about
upgrading to jdk8 in 2.6 version?

- Java versions are now released more frequently
- 2.5.x will still be on jdk7
- Currently custom converters must be created to use java 8 date/time
classes
- Currently date tag is useless with java 8 date/time classes
- Some benefits from streams and lambdas, probably :)

---
Regards,
Aleksandr

RE: jdk8 in 2.6

Yasser Zamani-2
++1

Kind Regards.

Re: jdk8 in 2.6

info@flyingfischer.ch
+1

Markus

Am 11.01.19 um 21:35 schrieb Aleksandr Mashchenko:

> We discussed it before but it was quite some time ago. How about
> upgrading to jdk8 in 2.6 version?
>
> - Java versions are now released more frequently
> - 2.5.x will still be on jdk7
> - Currently custom converters must be created to use java 8 date/time
> classes
> - Currently date tag is useless with java 8 date/time classes
> - Some benefits from streams and lambdas, probably :)
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Aleksandr

Re: jdk8 in 2.6

Martin Gainty
enable stream processing in JDK 1.8
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/ma14-java-se-8-streams-2177646.html
[https://www.oracle.com/ocom/groups/public/@otn/documents/digitalasset/2179048.jpg]<https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/ma14-java-se-8-streams-2177646.html>

Processing Data with Java SE 8 Streams, Part 1<https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/ma14-java-se-8-streams-2177646.html>
Java SE 8 to the rescue! The Java API designers are updating the API with a new abstraction called Stream that lets you process data in a declarative way. Furthermore, streams can leverage multi-core architectures without you having to write a single line of multithread code.
www.oracle.com

+1
Martin
________________________________
Am 11.01.19 um 21:35 schrieb Aleksandr Mashchenko:

> We discussed it before but it was quite some time ago. How about
> upgrading to jdk8 in 2.6 version?
>
> - Java versions are now released more frequently
> - 2.5.x will still be on jdk7
> - Currently custom converters must be created to use java 8 date/time
> classes
> - Currently date tag is useless with java 8 date/time classes
> - Some benefits from streams and lambdas, probably :)
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Aleksandr

Re: jdk8 in 2.6

pt., 11 sty 2019 o 21:36 Aleksandr Mashchenko <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> We discussed it before but it was quite some time ago. How about
> upgrading to jdk8 in 2.6 version?
>
> - Java versions are now released more frequently
> - 2.5.x will still be on jdk7
> - Currently custom converters must be created to use java 8 date/time
> classes
> - Currently date tag is useless with java 8 date/time classes
> - Some benefits from streams and lambdas, probably :)

I'm fine with this, my only concern is that we will have to support
Struts 2.5.x a bit longer than I initially thought. It can be a big
problem for some users to switch to Java8, some of them are still
running Struts 2.3.x on Java6.

Re: jdk8 in 2.6

Louis Smith
I vote for Java 8 as well.  I already have clients moving to OpenJDK 11 and
are looking at all suppliers to upgrade their products.

Any of the underlying libraries (asm?) that have many versions ahead of the
current ones in Struts could also be brought up as part of 2.6

Louis

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 9:16 AM Lukasz Lenart <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> pt., 11 sty 2019 o 21:36 Aleksandr Mashchenko <[hidden email]>
> napisał(a):
> >
> > We discussed it before but it was quite some time ago. How about
> > upgrading to jdk8 in 2.6 version?
> >
> > - Java versions are now released more frequently
> > - 2.5.x will still be on jdk7
> > - Currently custom converters must be created to use java 8 date/time
> > classes
> > - Currently date tag is useless with java 8 date/time classes
> > - Some benefits from streams and lambdas, probably :)
>
> I'm fine with this, my only concern is that we will have to support
> Struts 2.5.x a bit longer than I initially thought. It can be a big
> problem for some users to switch to Java8, some of them are still
> running Struts 2.3.x on Java6.
>

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: jdk8 in 2.6

Nathan Bragg
Only if support for 2.5 lasts for awhile longer. We are in the middle of a 2.3 -> 2.5 conversion now, would hate to do it again.

On 2019/01/11 20:35:42, Aleksandr Mashchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We discussed it before but it was quite some time ago. How about >
> upgrading to jdk8 in 2.6 version?>
>
> - Java versions are now released more frequently>
> - 2.5.x will still be on jdk7>
> - Currently custom converters must be created to use java 8 date/time >
> classes>
> - Currently date tag is useless with java 8 date/time classes>
> - Some benefits from streams and lambdas, probably :)>
>
> --->
> Regards,>
> Aleksandr>

> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]>

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
J C

Re: jdk8 in 2.6

J C
Hello.

Moving Struts 2.6 to JDK 8 source/target should probably be OK, but hopefully Struts 2.5.x would have an extended lifecycle to continue JDK 7 Struts 2 support.

Another option could be to initially release 2.6 with JDK 7 source/target and shortly afterwards move to a 2.7 master stream for JDK 8 source/target (allowing the 2.5.x branch to be retired sooner, keeping 2.6 as the JDK 7 line ?).

James.

On 2019/01/12 11:14:37, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> enable stream processing in JDK 1.8>
> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/ma14-java-se-8-streams-2177646.html>
> [https://www.oracle.com/ocom/groups/public/@otn/documents/digitalasset/2179048.jpg]<https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/ma14-java-se-8-streams-2177646.html>>
>
> Processing Data with Java SE 8 Streams, Part 1<https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/ma14-java-se-8-streams-2177646.html>>
> Java SE 8 to the rescue! The Java API designers are updating the API with a new abstraction called Stream that lets you process data in a declarative way. Furthermore, streams can leverage multi-core architectures without you having to write a single line of multithread code.>
> www.oracle.com>
>

> +1>
> Martin>
> ________________________________>

RE: jdk8 in 2.6

Hi Nathan, thanks for using Struts!

By `support`, did you mean security and bug fixes? If so, AFAIK, it's obvious that 2.5.x will receive them in a long term - several years as long as technically possible (@dev please correct me if it's not true). But if you meant new features, despite the java version, I personally experienced it too hard, buggy and boring to manipulate and then support both branches (2.5 and 2.6) for new features.

Regards.

Lukasz Lenart
niedz., 13 sty 2019 o 09:44 Yasser Zamani <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
> By `support`, did you mean security and bug fixes? If so, AFAIK, it's obvious that 2.5.x will receive them in a long term - several years as long as technically possible (@dev please correct me if it's not true). But if you meant new features, despite the java version, I personally experienced it too hard, buggy and boring to manipulate and then support both branches (2.5 and 2.6) for new features.

As far I recall, we have been discussing to support 2.5.x for a year
after we release 2.6. And yes, we should only consider support for
security vulnerabilities and highly demanded features.

If we are fine with supporting 2.5.x branch for a bit longer than a
year, I'm good with switching to JDK8 in 2.6.

Re: jdk8 in 2.6

Aleksandr Mashchenko
@Nathan

 > We are in the middle of a 2.3 -> 2.5 conversion now, would hate to do
it again.

Can you elaborate on why it was difficult to migrate (if it was :) )?
Have you followed migration guide [1]? It is pretty straightforward.
As for the java version I would suggest using java 8, 2.5.x runs well on
java 8.

 > If we are fine with supporting 2.5.x branch for a bit longer than a
year

I'm fine with that.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Struts+2.3+to+2.5+migration

---
Regards,
Aleksandr

Re: jdk8 in 2.6

Yasser Zamani-2

On 1/13/2019 4:14 PM, Aleksandr Mashchenko wrote:
>> If we are fine with supporting 2.5.x branch for a bit longer than a
> year
>
> I'm fine with that.

Me too. Security and bug fixes don't look like a burden for me even for
several years. And I found Struts, mature, so any structural breaking
high demand new feature isn't anticipated, I guess :)

Kind Regards.

Re: jdk8 in 2.6

Lukasz Lenart
Cool, I would wait till the end of week or maybe even till the end of
the month to see if there any other doubts and then we can go ahead
and merge the PR.