Type conversion collection with interface type elements

Type conversion collection with interface type elements

Nuno Oliveira
Hi,

I am having problems populating an action variable Set by request using
struts type conversion if the Set has the element type defined as an
interface.
I have a UserAction-conversion.properties file with the following
configuration using the class implementation:

KeyProperty_roles=id
Element_roles=path.to.class.Roles
CreateIfNull_roles=true

And UserAction has the collection Set<RolesInterface>. Roles obviously
implements RolesInterface.

If the Set element type <RolesInterface> is deleted it works just fine.
Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible?

Thanks

Re: Type conversion collection with interface type elements

Yasser Zamani-2

On 4/4/2018 7:20 PM, Nuno Oliveira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems populating an action variable Set by request using
> struts type conversion if the Set has the element type defined as an
> interface.
> I have a UserAction-conversion.properties file with the following
> configuration using the class implementation:
>
> KeyProperty_roles=id
> Element_roles=path.to.class.Roles
> CreateIfNull_roles=true
>
> And UserAction has the collection Set<RolesInterface>. Roles obviously
> implements RolesInterface.
>
> If the Set element type <RolesInterface> is deleted it works just fine.
> Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible?

I reproduced it and seems it's because it tries to instantiate a new
element but the interface cannot being instantiated. Please see [1] to
know why it tries to instantiate interface instead of class.

Annotating the getRoles or setRoles method with @Element(value =
path.to.class.Roles.class) may fix this issue. (shouldn't it be
path.to.class.Role instead? it seems Roles is a list not element)

Regards.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/struts/blob/05829e3faadd15cfa67eb234cd1775f2b98918cb/core/src/main/java/com/opensymphony/xwork2/conversion/impl/DefaultObjectTypeDeterminer.java#L100

> Thanks

Fwd: Type conversion collection with interface type elements

Yasser Zamani-2
[copy with removed links to avoid detection as spam]

On 4/4/2018 7:20 PM, Nuno Oliveira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems populating an action variable Set by request using
> struts type conversion if the Set has the element type defined as an
> interface.
> I have a UserAction-conversion.properties file with the following
> configuration using the class implementation:
>
> KeyProperty_roles=id
> Element_roles=path.to.class.Roles
> CreateIfNull_roles=true
>
> And UserAction has the collection Set<RolesInterface>. Roles obviously
> implements RolesInterface.
>
> If the Set element type <RolesInterface> is deleted it works just fine.
> Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible?

I reproduced it and seems it's because it tries to instantiate a new
element but the interface cannot being instantiated. Please see [1] to
know why it tries to instantiate interface instead of class.

Annotating the getRoles or setRoles method with @Element(value =
path.to.class.Roles.class) may fix this issue. (shouldn't it be
path.to.class.Role instead? it seems Roles is a list not element)

Regards.

[1]
github.com/apache/struts/blob/05829e3faadd15cfa67eb234cd1775f2b98918cb/core/src/main/java/com/opensymphony/xwork2/conversion/impl/DefaultObjectTypeDeterminer.java#L100

> Thanks

Re: Fwd: Type conversion collection with interface type elements

Nuno Oliveira
Your fix worked :) and I see why it did not work, thank you.

Also yes, you are right, it should be Role instead of Roles but it is a
legacy class and the change implies a lot of fixes. It's on the "to do
list".

Once more, thank you.

On 4/5/2018 6:52 PM, Nuno Oliveira wrote:
> Your fix worked :) and I see why it did not work, thank you.
>
> Also yes, you are right, it should be Role instead of Roles but it is a
> legacy class and the change implies a lot of fixes. It's on the "to do
> list".
>
> Once more, thank you.

You're welcome :) glad to hear this. However, I think it's better that
Struts honor .properties file (where element class has been defined
strictly by user) before the generic parametrics [1]. Could you please
register an issue at [2] with title "conversion fails when generic type
is an interface" then paste these emails contents in it's description.

Thanks for your report!

[1]
github.com/apache/struts/blob/05829e3faadd15cfa67eb234cd1775f2b98918cb/core/src/main/java/com/opensymphony/xwork2/conversion/impl/DefaultObjectTypeDeterminer.java#L100
[2] issues.apache.org/jira/projects/WW/