Quantcast

The Struts dispatcher cannot be found

stanlick
I started a new Struts 2 project today with Tiles and Spring.  My default result type is "tiles" and everything works alright as long as you don't look at the console!  For some strange reason there are numerous messages like the following:

The Struts dispatcher cannot be found.  This is usually caused by using Struts tags without the associated filter. Struts tags are only usable when the request has passed through its servlet filter, which initializes the Struts dispatcher needed for this tag. - [unknown location]

my welcome page is invoking home.action and is being processed correctly!  Any idea what this is about?  I have checked the web.xml several times against other working sites and I don't see anything out of whack.

Peace,
Scott

Re: The Struts dispatcher cannot be found

Antonio Petrelli-3
2008/10/22 stanlick <[hidden email]>:

> I started a new Struts 2 project today with Tiles and Spring.  My default
> result type is "tiles" and everything works alright as long as you don't
> look at the console!  For some strange reason there are numerous messages
> like the following:
>
> The Struts dispatcher cannot be found.  This is usually caused by using
> Struts tags without the associated filter. Struts tags are only usable when
> the request has passed through its servlet filter, which initializes the
> Struts dispatcher needed for this tag. - [unknown location]

Maybe the last comment of this issue can help you:

Antonio

Re: The Struts dispatcher cannot be found

stanlick
When I dig deeper into this, I see the problem is with a oops.jsp I have configured in my struts.xml as

                <global-results>
                        <result name="exceptionLogger" type="dispatcher">/oops.jsp</result>
                </global-results>

Now here is the strange part -- my request for homePage.action is working fine and there are no errors!  I can remove all references to this oop.jsp yet the following messages continues to dump to stdout.

"The Struts dispatcher cannot be found.  This is usually caused by using  Struts tags without the associated filter..."

If I remove the HTML inside oops.jsp everything works fine!  What is interacting with oops.jsp even when there are no exceptions?

RE: Re: The Struts dispatcher cannot be found

newton.dave
The first thing I'd do is turn up logging to 11 on s2, xwork, tiles, and ognl.

Not sure why the exception page would be hit w/ *no* exception but I could imagine that there could be an exception after the page/response has been written to... Is the 'right' page rendered *completely*?

Dave

stanlick wrote:

> When I dig deeper into this, I see the problem is with a oops.jsp I have
> configured in my struts.xml as
> <global-results>
> <result name="exceptionLogger" type="dispatcher">/oops.jsp</result>
> </global-results>
> Now here is the strange part -- my request for homePage.action is working
> fine and there are no errors!  I can remove all references to this oop.jsp
> yet the following messages continues to dump to stdout.
> "The Struts dispatcher cannot be found.  This is usually caused by using
> Struts tags without the associated filter..."
> If I remove the HTML inside oops.jsp everything works fine!  What is
> interacting with oops.jsp even when there are no exceptions?

RE: Re: The Struts dispatcher cannot be found

Wes Wannemacher
Scott, are you sure that you don't have error pages pointing to oops.jsp
in your web.xml file?

http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs81/webapp/web_xml.html#1017571

On my first S2 project, I had pointed my errors to an oops.jsp out of
habit. I was trying to use S2 tags in the error page and ran into the
same situation that you are describing.

-Wes

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 13:01 -0700, [hidden email] wrote:

> The first thing I'd do is turn up logging to 11 on s2, xwork, tiles, and ognl.
>
> Not sure why the exception page would be hit w/ *no* exception but I could imagine that there could be an exception after the page/response has been written to... Is the 'right' page rendered *completely*?
>
> Dave
>
> stanlick wrote:
> > When I dig deeper into this, I see the problem is with a oops.jsp I have
> > configured in my struts.xml as
> > <global-results>
> > <result name="exceptionLogger" type="dispatcher">/oops.jsp</result>
> > </global-results>
> > Now here is the strange part -- my request for homePage.action is working
> > fine and there are no errors!  I can remove all references to this oop.jsp
> > yet the following messages continues to dump to stdout.
> > "The Struts dispatcher cannot be found.  This is usually caused by using
> > Struts tags without the associated filter..."
> > If I remove the HTML inside oops.jsp everything works fine!  What is
> > interacting with oops.jsp even when there are no exceptions?

Re: Re: The Struts dispatcher cannot be found

stanlick
I wish I could switch on a British accent here -- mine goes to eleven
already but the knobber is broken off.  It was a crazy show at the Garden
where some bloke kept tell'n me to crank the bugger up.

Yeah, the right page and no exceptions yet the oops.jsp (with its S2 tags)
is being flagged for off sides!  This is crazier than the gig we played up
in Philly...

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:01 PM, [hidden email] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The first thing I'd do is turn up logging to 11 on s2, xwork, tiles, and
> ognl.
>
> Not sure why the exception page would be hit w/ *no* exception but I could
> imagine that there could be an exception after the page/response has been
> written to... Is the 'right' page rendered *completely*?
>
> Dave
>
> stanlick wrote:
> > When I dig deeper into this, I see the problem is with a oops.jsp I have
> > configured in my struts.xml as
> >               <global-results>
> >                       <result name="exceptionLogger"
> type="dispatcher">/oops.jsp</result>
> >               </global-results>
> > Now here is the strange part -- my request for homePage.action is working
> > fine and there are no errors!  I can remove all references to this
> oop.jsp
> > yet the following messages continues to dump to stdout.
> > "The Struts dispatcher cannot be found.  This is usually caused by using
> > Struts tags without the associated filter..."
> > If I remove the HTML inside oops.jsp everything works fine!  What is
> > interacting with oops.jsp even when there are no exceptions?

RE: Re: The Struts dispatcher cannot be found

stanlick
Hey Wes --

Good catch bro!  I do have oops.jsp configured in my web.xml, however, I don't see how an exception could bubble up to the container with this configuration in my struts.xml

                <global-exception-mappings>
                        <exception-mapping exception="java.lang.Throwable"
                                result="exceptionLogger" />
                </global-exception-mappings>

Scott

Wes Wannemacher wrote

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 13:01 -0700, newton.dave@yahoo.com wrote:
> The first thing I'd do is turn up logging to 11 on s2, xwork, tiles, and ognl.
>
> Not sure why the exception page would be hit w/ *no* exception but I could imagine that there could be an exception after the page/response has been written to... Is the 'right' page rendered *completely*?
>
> Dave
>
> stanlick wrote:
> > When I dig deeper into this, I see the problem is with a oops.jsp I have
> > configured in my struts.xml as
> > <global-results>
> > <result name="exceptionLogger" type="dispatcher">/oops.jsp</result>
> > </global-results>
> > Now here is the strange part -- my request for homePage.action is working
> > fine and there are no errors!  I can remove all references to this oop.jsp
> > yet the following messages continues to dump to stdout.
> > "The Struts dispatcher cannot be found.  This is usually caused by using
> > Struts tags without the associated filter..."
> > If I remove the HTML inside oops.jsp everything works fine!  What is
> > interacting with oops.jsp even when there are no exceptions?

Re: Re: The Struts dispatcher cannot be found

Wes Wannemacher
You know, I wondered the same thing when it happened to me... I'm
guessing to make it worse, the behavior probably changes if you change
containers. Another thing to consider is that if your
"exceptionLogger" result is to be available in any action in your app,
global-results are only configured at the package level.

-Wes

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:46 AM, stanlick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Wes --
>
> Good catch bro!  I do have oops.jsp configured in my web.xml, however, I
> don't see how an exception could bubble up to the container with this
> configuration in my struts.xml
>
>                <global-exception-mappings>
>                        <exception-mapping exception="java.lang.Throwable"
>                                result="exceptionLogger" />
>                </global-exception-mappings>
>

> Scott
>

> Wes Wannemacher wrote:
>>
>> Scott, are you sure that you don't have error pages pointing to oops.jsp
>> in your web.xml file?
>>
>> http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs81/webapp/web_xml.html#1017571
>>
>> On my first S2 project, I had pointed my errors to an oops.jsp out of
>> habit. I was trying to use S2 tags in the error page and ran into the
>> same situation that you are describing.
>>
>> -Wes
>>
>> On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 13:01 -0700, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> The first thing I'd do is turn up logging to 11 on s2, xwork, tiles, and
>>> ognl.
>>>
>>> Not sure why the exception page would be hit w/ *no* exception but I
>>> could imagine that there could be an exception after the page/response
>>> has been written to... Is the 'right' page rendered *completely*?
>>>
>>> Dave

>>> have
>>> working
>>> oop.jsp