Struts 2.4

I thought about that for a long time and I think if we want to support
2.3.x branch we must switch to Java 7 for it. Jenkins at Apache
doesn't support Java 6 anymore (at least I do not know how to make it
work).

wdyt?

Re: Struts 2.4

Louis Smith
Considering that Java 8, 9, and 10 are all out - moving up to 7 seems like
"not enough".

How about a tech survey of Struts users to see what Java version they are
on?  I have my clients on Java 8, and doing research on 9.

Louis

Louis

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 8:10 AM, Lukasz Lenart <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought about that for a long time and I think if we want to support
> 2.3.x branch we must switch to Java 7 for it. Jenkins at Apache
> doesn't support Java 6 anymore (at least I do not know how to make it
> work).
>
> wdyt?
>

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Struts 2.4

> Considering that Java 8, 9, and 10 are all out - moving up to 7 seems like
> "not enough".
>
> How about a tech survey of Struts users to see what Java version they are
> on?  I have my clients on Java 8, and doing research on 9.

The latest LTS version of Java is Java 8, Java 9 & 10 won't be
supported soon as Java 11 hit the deck (the next LTS version). So
switching to Java 9/10 can be dangerous as those versions won't have
security patches.

AW: Struts 2.4

Christoph.Nenning

my impression is that there are lots of people using old versions of struts, java, app servers, ... and who are not active on mailing-lists or github or whatever. Just when they have issues due to old versions being no longer supported they start sending mails to users list or asking on stack overflow.

Actually I would prefer to drop struts 2.3 and not start with 2.4. But I think there is much demand for it. And when we support old struts version it should depend on old java, too.

Regards,
Christoph

Lukasz Lenart
Finally I have a stable build on Java 7, but maybe I can try with Java 6
https://builds.apache.org/view/S-Z/view/Struts/job/Struts-2-4-JDK7/

> my impression is that there are lots of people using old versions of struts, java, app servers, ... and who are not active on mailing-lists or github or whatever. Just when they have issues due to old versions being no longer supported they start sending mails to users list or asking on stack overflow.
>
> Actually I would prefer to drop struts 2.3 and not start with 2.4. But I think there is much demand for it. And when we support old struts version it should depend on old java, too.
>
> Regards,
> Christoph

Hm... it doesn't work with Jenkins and Java 6, but works locally (no
idea what's the difference). The error is below

https://builds.apache.org/view/S-Z/view/Struts/job/Struts-2-4-JDK6/36/console

[INFO] Compiling 4 source files to
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/Struts-2-4-JDK6/apps/blank/target/classes
An exception has occurred in the compiler (1.6.0_45). Please file a
bug at the Java Developer Connection
(http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport)  after checking the Bug Parade
for duplicates. Include your program and the following diagnostic in
your report.  Thank you.
java.lang.LinkageError: loader constraint violation: when resolving
method "com.sun.tools.javadoc.DocCommentScanner$Factory.preRegister(Lcom/sun/tools/javac/util/Context;)V"
the class loader (instance of java/net/FactoryURLClassLoader) of the
current class, com/sun/tools/javac/main/JavaCompiler, and the class
loader (instance of sun/misc/Launcher$AppClassLoader) for resolved
class, com/sun/tools/javadoc/DocCommentScanner$Factory, have different
Class objects for the type com/sun/tools/javac/util/Context used in
the signature
at com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.initProcessAnnotations(JavaCompiler.java:883)
at com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.compile(JavaCompiler.java:724)
at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:353)
at com.sun.tools.javac.api.JavacTaskImpl.call(JavacTaskImpl.java:113)
at org.codehaus.plexus.compiler.javac.JavaxToolsCompiler.compileInProcess(JavaxToolsCompiler.java:126)
at org.codehaus.plexus.compiler.javac.JavacCompiler.performCompile(JavacCompiler.java:174)
at org.apache.maven.plugin.compiler.AbstractCompilerMojo.execute(AbstractCompilerMojo.java:943)
at org.apache.maven.plugin.compiler.CompilerMojo.execute(CompilerMojo.java:137)
at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:101)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:209)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:145)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:84)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:59)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.singleThreadedBuild(LifecycleStarter.java:183)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:161)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:320)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:156)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:290)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:230)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:409)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:352)

> Finally I have a stable build on Java 7, but maybe I can try with Java 6
> https://builds.apache.org/view/S-Z/view/Struts/job/Struts-2-4-JDK7/

>> Hi,
>>
>> my impression is that there are lots of people using old versions of struts, java, app servers, ... and who are not active on mailing-lists or github or whatever. Just when they have issues due to old versions being no longer supported they start sending mails to users list or asking on stack overflow.
>>
>> Actually I would prefer to drop struts 2.3 and not start with 2.4. But I think there is much demand for it. And when we support old struts version it should depend on old java, too.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christoph

Maybe different minor versions of jdk, maven or maven-compiler-plugin ?

Regards,
Christoph

Tried different options, but still no luck :( I'm locally running
1.6_51 (OSX) and the latest available version from Oracle is 1.6_41 -
switching Maven or maven-compiler-plugin didn't help.

> Maybe different minor versions of jdk, maven or maven-compiler-plugin ?
>

> Regards,
> Christoph

I can build and test the project locally, no problem. And having the
binary bits anyone else can test them as well. The only issue is that
we won't be able to test this on Jenkins but I think we can live with
that for now :)

> It is still possible to run commercially supported JRE/JDK6 (IBM e.g.) -
> that is why a lot of users are still on Java < 7.
>
> A solution can be to not build on JDK6, but release binaries built with
> source/target 1.6 built on current LTS JDKs (currently Oracle 1.8, soon
> to be Oracle 11 or anything decent from Azul). This also means we would
> have to state that the builds were not tested on JDK < 8.
>

> Am 19.04.18 um 09:14 schrieb Lukasz Lenart:
>> Tried different options, but still no luck :( I'm locally running
>> 1.6_51 (OSX) and the latest available version from Oracle is 1.6_41 -
>> switching Maven or maven-compiler-plugin didn't help.

>>> Maybe different minor versions of jdk, maven or maven-compiler-plugin ?
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Christoph

Re: Struts 2.4

On 4/16/2018 11:45 AM, Lukasz Lenart wrote:

> [...]
> at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:320)
> at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:156)
> at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.execute(MavenCli.java:537)
> at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.doMain(MavenCli.java:196)
> at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:141)
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
> at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
> at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:290)
> at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:230)
> at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:409)
> at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:352)

It seems this problem only occurs for "Struts 2 Webapps" module [1]. I
tried to verify this in Jenkins but I didn't have access to configs. I
also tried a PR but forgot that PR doesn't build against JDK6. So could
you please verify if jdk6 starts working via deleting this module in
Jenkins configs? This makes us more near to answer what's the problem with.

Before these, you may also try compile with Jenkin's
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/ [2] to see if makes any difference or
info.

Regards.

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/244707/1362623
[2]