Quantcast

[S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

[S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

Peter Phillips
I recently upgraded from struts 2.0 to 2.1.7 and noticed that we are
now getting lots of warnings in the logs:

12:31:53,283 WARN  [OgnlValueStack] Error setting expression
'button.save' with value '[Ljava.lang.String;@1683e9f'
ognl.OgnlException: target is null for setProperty(null, "save",
[Ljava.lang.String;@1683e9f)
        at ognl.OgnlRuntime.setProperty(OgnlRuntime.java:1651)
        at ognl.ASTProperty.setValueBody(ASTProperty.java:101)
        at ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateSetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:177)
        at ognl.SimpleNode.setValue(SimpleNode.java:246)
        at ognl.ASTChain.setValueBody(ASTChain.java:172)
        at ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateSetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:177)
        at ognl.SimpleNode.setValue(SimpleNode.java:246)
        at ognl.Ognl.setValue(Ognl.java:476)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlUtil.setValue(OgnlUtil.java:192)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack.setValue(OgnlValueStack.java:161)

In our case the jsp has a submit button - <s:submit key="button.save" />.

Our action doesn't have a button.save property, I could add one to
suppress the warning but it doesn't feel right to add code to an
action to prevent a warning in the logs.  Alternatively I guess I
could change the log4j settings so that OgnlValueStack was set to
ERROR, but this would stop other warnings that I might actually be
interested in.

XW-613 changed the logging levels for the class from debug to warning
in a few places.  However reading the bug report by Brian Pontarelli
in XW-613 his issue seems to be the lack of warning logging when
exceptions are caught - which in my mind is more in the method
logLookupFailure (lines 353-359).  I agree that this is an exception
that the user should be warned about, whereas at present it is only a
debug (if devMode is false).

How are other people getting round the problem with submit buttons
causing warnings in the logs?

Re: [S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

Greg Lindholm-2
I just change the logging level.

log4j.properties:
# Struts OgnlUtil issues unimportant warnings
log4j.logger.com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlUtil=error
log4j.logger.com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack=error

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Peter Phillips <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently upgraded from struts 2.0 to 2.1.7 and noticed that we are
> now getting lots of warnings in the logs:
>
> 12:31:53,283 WARN  [OgnlValueStack] Error setting expression
> 'button.save' with value '[Ljava.lang.String;@1683e9f'
> ognl.OgnlException: target is null for setProperty(null, "save",
> [Ljava.lang.String;@1683e9f)
>        at ognl.OgnlRuntime.setProperty(OgnlRuntime.java:1651)
>        at ognl.ASTProperty.setValueBody(ASTProperty.java:101)
>        at ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateSetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:177)
>        at ognl.SimpleNode.setValue(SimpleNode.java:246)
>        at ognl.ASTChain.setValueBody(ASTChain.java:172)
>        at ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateSetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:177)
>        at ognl.SimpleNode.setValue(SimpleNode.java:246)
>        at ognl.Ognl.setValue(Ognl.java:476)
>        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlUtil.setValue(OgnlUtil.java:192)
>        at
> com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack.setValue(OgnlValueStack.java:161)
>
> In our case the jsp has a submit button - <s:submit key="button.save" />.
>
> Our action doesn't have a button.save property, I could add one to
> suppress the warning but it doesn't feel right to add code to an
> action to prevent a warning in the logs.  Alternatively I guess I
> could change the log4j settings so that OgnlValueStack was set to
> ERROR, but this would stop other warnings that I might actually be
> interested in.
>
> XW-613 changed the logging levels for the class from debug to warning
> in a few places.  However reading the bug report by Brian Pontarelli
> in XW-613 his issue seems to be the lack of warning logging when
> exceptions are caught - which in my mind is more in the method
> logLookupFailure (lines 353-359).  I agree that this is an exception
> that the user should be warned about, whereas at present it is only a
> debug (if devMode is false).
>
> How are other people getting round the problem with submit buttons
> causing warnings in the logs?

Re: [S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

Wes Wannemacher
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Peter
Phillips<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently upgraded from struts 2.0 to 2.1.7 and noticed that we are
> now getting lots of warnings in the logs:
>
> 12:31:53,283 WARN  [OgnlValueStack] Error setting expression
> 'button.save' with value '[Ljava.lang.String;@1683e9f'
> ognl.OgnlException: target is null for setProperty(null, "save",
> [Ljava.lang.String;@1683e9f)
>        at ognl.OgnlRuntime.setProperty(OgnlRuntime.java:1651)
>        at ognl.ASTProperty.setValueBody(ASTProperty.java:101)
>        at ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateSetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:177)
>        at ognl.SimpleNode.setValue(SimpleNode.java:246)
>        at ognl.ASTChain.setValueBody(ASTChain.java:172)
>        at ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateSetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:177)
>        at ognl.SimpleNode.setValue(SimpleNode.java:246)
>        at ognl.Ognl.setValue(Ognl.java:476)
>        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlUtil.setValue(OgnlUtil.java:192)
>        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack.setValue(OgnlValueStack.java:161)
>
> In our case the jsp has a submit button - <s:submit key="button.save" />.
>
> Our action doesn't have a button.save property, I could add one to
> suppress the warning but it doesn't feel right to add code to an
> action to prevent a warning in the logs.  Alternatively I guess I
> could change the log4j settings so that OgnlValueStack was set to
> ERROR, but this would stop other warnings that I might actually be
> interested in.
>
> XW-613 changed the logging levels for the class from debug to warning
> in a few places.  However reading the bug report by Brian Pontarelli
> in XW-613 his issue seems to be the lack of warning logging when
> exceptions are caught - which in my mind is more in the method
> logLookupFailure (lines 353-359).  I agree that this is an exception
> that the user should be warned about, whereas at present it is only a
> debug (if devMode is false).
>
> How are other people getting round the problem with submit buttons
> causing warnings in the logs?

/sigh... This is one of the great debates of struts2 development. On
one side you have a camp that wants to know any time a parameter is
submitted that doesn't have a matching getter/setter on the action, on
the other side, you have a group that doesn't want a bunch of errors
in the log. IMO, I get around it by setting the logging level
differently from dev to production. The problem is a bit basic in it's
nature, the current mechanisms for parameter parsing using OGNL to set
values against the action class. OGNL will throw an exception if a
passed parameter does not match a property on the target action.
Obviously, not all situations warrant a property on the target action,
but at the same time, when you are developing your application and you
forget a getter/setter on an action, you want to know. We've tried a
few different solutions, including using the value of devMode to
decide whether or not to show the errors, but it seems that there is
no perfect solution. Honestly, I think that if someone wants to help
tackle this issue, go ahead and file a JIRA, but I can say with
confidence that bugs and patches that indiscriminately turn the
exceptions and logging off or on will not be considered.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

Re: [S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

Greg Lindholm-2

> /sigh... This is one of the great debates of struts2 development. On
> one side you have a camp that wants to know any time a parameter is
> submitted that doesn't have a matching getter/setter on the action, on
> the other side, you have a group that doesn't want a bunch of errors
> in the log. IMO, I get around it by setting the logging level
> differently from dev to production. The problem is a bit basic in it's
> nature, the current mechanisms for parameter parsing using OGNL to set
> values against the action class. OGNL will throw an exception if a
> passed parameter does not match a property on the target action.
> Obviously, not all situations warrant a property on the target action,
> but at the same time, when you are developing your application and you
> forget a getter/setter on an action, you want to know. We've tried a
> few different solutions, including using the value of devMode to
> decide whether or not to show the errors, but it seems that there is
> no perfect solution. Honestly, I think that if someone wants to help
> tackle this issue, go ahead and file a JIRA, but I can say with
> confidence that bugs and patches that indiscriminately turn the
> exceptions and logging off or on will not be considered.
>
> -Wes

I do use a different log4j.properties file for devel vs. production which
helps.

I think the best you (committers) can do is be aware of the differing needs
and make the logging fine grained enough so users can turn individual
messages on or off as needed.  You may need several loggers in a class in
order to permit fine grained tuning.

The only other thing I would suggest is to reserve 'error' level reporting
to only times when things go horribly wrong and recovery is not possible.
Nobody wants to ever see "ERROR" show up in the logs when it isn't really an
error.  (E.g. in 2.1.6 https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-1714)

Re: [S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

Peter Phillips
Thanks for your help.  I guess everyone has their own opinions on when
warnings etc. should appear in the logs and trying to keep everyone
happy is an impossible task.

After a bit more digging I think I can just implement my own version
of OgnlValueStackFactory (by setting the struts.valueStackFactory
property) and then my own version of OgnlValueStack with the warnings
changed to debug and vica versa!

Re: [S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

Burton Rhodes
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I am from the latter camp Wes
described.  I tried removing the logged errors as you suggested, but
it doesn't seem to work.  If I move up to the broad
"com.opensymphony.xwork2" package it works, but this will remove too
much I fear.  When I drill down to the "....xwork2.ogln" package the
error is logged.  What am I missing?

<!-- This successfully removes the logged errors, but is too broad! -->
<category name="com.opensymphony.xwork2" additivity="true">
   <priority value="FATAL"/>
</category>

<!-- This DOES NOT remove the logged errors, one package down -->
<category name="com.opensymphony.xwork2.ogln" additivity="true">
   <priority value="FATAL"/>
</category>

<!-- This DOES NOT seem to work either?? -->
<category name="com.opensymphony.xwork2.util" additivity="true">
   <priority value="FATAL"/>
</category>

The actual error is:

ERROR: Unable to set parameter [contactId] in result of type
[org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ServletActionRedirectResult]
Caught OgnlException while setting property 'contactId' on type
'org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ServletActionRedirectResult'. - Class:
ognl.ObjectPropertyAccessor
File: ObjectPropertyAccessor.java
Method: setProperty
Line: 132 - ognl/ObjectPropertyAccessor.java:132:-1
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlUtil.internalSetProperty(OgnlUtil.java:392)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlUtil.setProperty(OgnlUtil.java:143)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlReflectionProvider.setProperty(OgnlReflectionProvider.java:91)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ObjectFactory.buildResult(ObjectFactory.java:221)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.createResult(DefaultActionInvocation.java:208)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.executeResult(DefaultActionInvocation.java:355)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:265)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.DefaultWorkflowInterceptor.doIntercept(DefaultWorkflowInterceptor.java:163)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:87)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.validator.ValidationInterceptor.doIntercept(ValidationInterceptor.java:249)
        at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.validation.AnnotationValidationInterceptor.doIntercept(AnnotationValidationInterceptor.java:68)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:87)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ConversionErrorInterceptor.intercept(ConversionErrorInterceptor.java:122)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ParametersInterceptor.doIntercept(ParametersInterceptor.java:195)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:87)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ParametersInterceptor.doIntercept(ParametersInterceptor.java:195)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:87)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.StaticParametersInterceptor.intercept(StaticParametersInterceptor.java:148)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.CheckboxInterceptor.intercept(CheckboxInterceptor.java:93)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.FileUploadInterceptor.intercept(FileUploadInterceptor.java:235)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ModelDrivenInterceptor.intercept(ModelDrivenInterceptor.java:89)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ScopedModelDrivenInterceptor.intercept(ScopedModelDrivenInterceptor.java:128)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.ProfilingActivationInterceptor.intercept(ProfilingActivationInterceptor.java:104)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.debugging.DebuggingInterceptor.intercept(DebuggingInterceptor.java:267)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ChainingInterceptor.intercept(ChainingInterceptor.java:126)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.PrepareInterceptor.doIntercept(PrepareInterceptor.java:138)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.MethodFilterInterceptor.intercept(MethodFilterInterceptor.java:87)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.I18nInterceptor.intercept(I18nInterceptor.java:148)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at org.apache.struts2.interceptor.ServletConfigInterceptor.intercept(ServletConfigInterceptor.java:164)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.AliasInterceptor.intercept(AliasInterceptor.java:128)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ExceptionMappingInterceptor.intercept(ExceptionMappingInterceptor.java:176)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at com.agentsymphony.web.interceptor.LoginInterceptor.intercept(LoginInterceptor.java:24)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:236)
        at org.apache.struts2.impl.StrutsActionProxy.execute(StrutsActionProxy.java:52)
        at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher.serviceAction(Dispatcher.java:468)
        at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher.doFilter(FilterDispatcher.java:395)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
        at org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ActionContextCleanUp.doFilter(ActionContextCleanUp.java:102)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
        at org.springframework.orm.jpa.support.OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter.java:112)
        at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:712)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:506)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:844)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:644)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:205)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:381)
        at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:396)
        at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
Caused by: ognl.NoSuchPropertyException:
org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ServletActionRedirectResult.contactId
        at ognl.ObjectPropertyAccessor.setProperty(ObjectPropertyAccessor.java:132)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.accessor.ObjectAccessor.setProperty(ObjectAccessor.java:28)
        at ognl.OgnlRuntime.setProperty(OgnlRuntime.java:1656)
        at ognl.ASTProperty.setValueBody(ASTProperty.java:101)
        at ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateSetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:177)
        at ognl.SimpleNode.setValue(SimpleNode.java:246)
        at ognl.Ognl.setValue(Ognl.java:476)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlUtil.setValue(OgnlUtil.java:192)
        at com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlUtil.internalSetProperty(OgnlUtil.java:385)
        ... 75 more

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Peter
Phillips<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your help.  I guess everyone has their own opinions on when
> warnings etc. should appear in the logs and trying to keep everyone
> happy is an impossible task.
>
> After a bit more digging I think I can just implement my own version
> of OgnlValueStackFactory (by setting the struts.valueStackFactory
> property) and then my own version of OgnlValueStack with the warnings
> changed to debug and vica versa!

Re: [S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

newton.dave
Burton Rhodes wrote:

> Not trying to hijack this thread, but I am from the latter camp Wes
> described.  I tried removing the logged errors as you suggested, but
> it doesn't seem to work.  If I move up to the broad
> "com.opensymphony.xwork2" package it works, but this will remove too
> much I fear.  When I drill down to the "....xwork2.ogln" package the
> error is logged.  What am I missing?
>
> <!-- This successfully removes the logged errors, but is too broad! -->
> <category name="com.opensymphony.xwork2" additivity="true">
>    <priority value="FATAL"/>
> </category>
>
> <!-- This DOES NOT remove the logged errors, one package down -->
> <category name="com.opensymphony.xwork2.ogln" additivity="true">
>    <priority value="FATAL"/>
> </category>

What happen when you spell "ognl" correctly?

Dave

Re: [S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

Burton Rhodes
Good eye (damn you drunk fingers).... however, even with correct
spelling the errors are still logged.  Could a different package/class
be throwing the error?

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Dave Newton<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Burton Rhodes wrote:
>>
>> Not trying to hijack this thread, but I am from the latter camp Wes
>> described.  I tried removing the logged errors as you suggested, but
>> it doesn't seem to work.  If I move up to the broad
>> "com.opensymphony.xwork2" package it works, but this will remove too
>> much I fear.  When I drill down to the "....xwork2.ogln" package the
>> error is logged.  What am I missing?
>>
>> <!-- This successfully removes the logged errors, but is too broad! -->
>> <category name="com.opensymphony.xwork2" additivity="true">
>>   <priority value="FATAL"/>
>> </category>
>>
>> <!-- This DOES NOT remove the logged errors, one package down -->
>> <category name="com.opensymphony.xwork2.ogln" additivity="true">
>>   <priority value="FATAL"/>
>> </category>
>
> What happen when you spell "ognl" correctly?
>
> Dave

RE: [S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

Martin Gainty

a genuine bug..the prob is trying to hunt down the file as it seems to have disappeared

notice the disconnect between com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl classes and ognl.ObjectPropertyAccessor;

here is 2.1.4 xwork class that actually references the non-existent base class
/*** @author Gabe */
public class XWorkObjectPropertyAccessor extends ObjectPropertyAccessor {
}

we need to get patrick involved as that file has been deleted from source a while ago..
http://fisheye5.cenqua.com/browse/ognl/java/ognl

Martin Gainty

Get your vacation photos on your phone!
http://windowsliveformobile.com/en-us/photos/default.aspx?&OCID=0809TL-HM

Martin Gainty wrote:

> a genuine bug..the prob is trying to hunt down the file as it seems to have disappeared
>
> notice the disconnect between com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl classes and ognl.ObjectPropertyAccessor;
>
> here is 2.1.4 xwork class that actually references the non-existent base class
> /*** @author Gabe */
> public class XWorkObjectPropertyAccessor extends ObjectPropertyAccessor {
> }
>
> we need to get patrick involved as that file has been deleted from source a while ago..
> http://fisheye5.cenqua.com/browse/ognl/java/ognl

The file is there: you are looking in the wrong place, and the commit
comment for the "deletion" spells out exactly what happened.

If it was a "non-existent base class" XWork wouldn't compile.

Dave

Re: [S2] OgnlValueStack Error setting expression warnings after upgrade from struts 2 to struts 2.1.7

Burton Rhodes
Well... I ended up limiting log level on the object
"com.opensymphony.xwork2.ObjectFactory".  This seemed to do the trick.
 Not sure if that's the "right" solution though.