Migrating from Struts 1.2 to recent Struts

Migrating from Struts 1.2 to recent Struts

davidrobertwoosley@gmail.com
I'm forced to migrate a sizable application from Struts 1.2 to something recent, and I don't know where to start. I understand that Struts 1.2 is ~ancient~ history and no longer supported in any way, shape or form. But it must be done.

How can I accomplish such a migration?

Thanks,

David

Re: Migrating from Struts 1.2 to recent Struts

Dave Newton-6
Kind of depends what you're migrating it to. Roughly speaking you copy your
business logic as-is and rewrite the web interface side of things.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM [hidden email] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm forced to migrate a sizable application from Struts 1.2 to something
> recent, and I don't know where to start. I understand that Struts 1.2 is
> ~ancient~ history and no longer supported in any way, shape or form. But it
> must be done.
>
> How can I accomplish such a migration?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

em: [hidden email]
mo: 908-380-8699
tw: @dave_newton <https://twitter.com/dave_newton>
li: dave-newton <https://www.linkedin.com/in/dave-newton/>
gh: davelnewton <https://github.com/davelnewton>
so: Dave Newton <http://stackoverflow.com/users/438992/dave-newton>
bl[0]: Bucky Bits <http://buckybits.blogspot.com/>
bl[1]: Maker's End Blog <https://blog.makersend.com>
sk: davelnewton_skype

RE: Migrating from Struts 1.2 to recent Struts

Yasser Zamani-2
Hi David,

These are some useful resources I found via googling:

* Official Migration Guide: Struts 1 to Struts 2 [1]
* Stackoverflow answer: Migration from Struts 1 to Struts 2 [2]
* InfoQ Migration Guide, part one [3]

Thanks for using Struts!

Kind Regards.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/Migration+Guide
[2] https://stackoverflow.com/a/20130845/1362623
[3] http://www.infoq.com/articles/converting-struts-2-part1

Dave,

The application uses 270 Tiles-based JSPs. It's a huge, complex user interface. How would you approach that?

Thanks, David.

Re: RE: Migrating from Struts 1.2 to recent Struts

davidrobertwoosley@gmail.com
Thanks Yasser. I'll check them out.

Re: Migrating from Struts 1.2 to recent Struts

Martin Gainty
https://struts.apache.org/plugins/struts-1/
Struts 1 Plugin<https://struts.apache.org/plugins/struts-1/>
back to Plugins Edit on GitHub Struts 1 Plugin. The Struts 1 plugin allows you to use existing Struts 1 Actions and ActionForms in Struts 2 applications. This plugin provides a generic Struts 2 Action class to wrap an existing Struts 1 Action, org.apache.struts2.s1.Struts1Action.The wrapper class provides the expected calls to the legacy Struts 1 Action and ActionForm, converting incoming and ...
struts.apache.org

incorporate struts2-struts1-plugin to use existing struts1 actions and existing struts1 forms within struts2

as dave mentioned your first effort should be to update all of your web interfaces

hth

________________________________

sk: davelnewton_skype

Re: Migrating from Struts 1.2 to recent Struts

davidrobertwoosley@gmail.com
Martin,

Excellent info. I may contact you directly via email.

Thanks.

David

Re: Migrating from Struts 1.2 to recent Struts

Dave Newton-6
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 5:41 PM [hidden email] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The application uses 270 Tiles-based JSPs. It's a huge, complex user
> interface. How would you approach that?

Honestly, I wouldn't--unless there's an overwhelmingly good reason to
essentially re-write the app, I wouldn't.

If I *had* to, I would run two apps in parallel and convert things over one
page at a time.

My own preference would be to keep most of the business logic "as-is" and
expose an API and convert the front end to a client-side framework (e.g.,
React/Vue).

Dave