Quantcast

Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Another PR cleaning up a mess with injecting things ;)
https://github.com/apache/struts/pull/122

and what do you think about adding a dedicated artefact to keep all
those interfaces? strust2-api? And move all the APIs there maybe with
default implementations.

Another thing I would like to start using "Struts" prefix instead of
"Default" which is a bit meaningless :)

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Christoph Nenning
I like those ideas!

Currently it is a bit messy to figure out what can be customized or used
by apps and what are struts internals. Having an explicit API would clear
things up.

Regards,
Christoph

> From: Lukasz Lenart <[hidden email]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[hidden email]>,
> Date: 15.03.2017 09:29
> Subject: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory
>
> Hi,
>
> Another PR cleaning up a mess with injecting things ;)
> https://github.com/apache/struts/pull/122
>
> and what do you think about adding a dedicated artefact to keep all
> those interfaces? strust2-api? And move all the APIs there maybe with
> default implementations.
>
> Another thing I would like to start using "Struts" prefix instead of
> "Default" which is a bit meaningless :)
>

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

> I like those ideas!
>
> Currently it is a bit messy to figure out what can be customized or used
> by apps and what are struts internals. Having an explicit API would clear
> things up.

Yeah, it should be a bit easier. The question is: do it now or wait
till Struts 2.6?

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Christoph Nenning
> > I like those ideas!
> >
> > Currently it is a bit messy to figure out what can be customized or
used
> > by apps and what are struts internals. Having an explicit API would
clear
> > things up.
>
> Yeah, it should be a bit easier. The question is: do it now or wait
> till Struts 2.6?

I'd say it is too big for a minor version update -> let's put it in 2.6

Regards,
Christoph

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

> I'd say it is too big for a minor version update -> let's put it in 2.6

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%202.6%20AND%20project%20%3D%20WW%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Aaron Johnson
Keeping breaking changes in major releases is important. I recently took a
project from 2.5.8 to 2.5.10.1 and had several compilation errors. Not a
good surprise when attempting to get a security fix in quickly.

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Lukasz Lenart <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [hidden email]>:
> > I'd say it is too big for a minor version update -> let's put it in 2.6

> 20%3D%202.6%20AND%20project%20%3D%20WW%20AND%20resolution%
> 20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Stefaan Dutry-2
I agree with respecting major/minor versions concerning breaking changes.

I also encountered an unexpected problem with updating one of our projects
at work to 2.5.10.1 (from 2.5.1), which didn’t even cause a compilation
error.

In my case it was because of the introduction of a parameter object.
(Google recaptcha parameter contains ’-’ => required manual fetching inside
validator)

Regards,
Stefaan Dutry (sdutry)

wrote:

> [hidden email]>:
> > I'd say it is too big for a minor version update -> let's put it in 2.6

> 20%3D%202.6%20AND%20project%20%3D%20WW%20AND%20resolution%
> 20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

> Keeping breaking changes in major releases is important. I recently took a
> project from 2.5.8 to 2.5.10.1 and had several compilation errors. Not a
> good surprise when attempting to get a security fix in quickly.

That would be awesome but it's hard if there are just few who test the
latest test build ;-) That being said, I'm going to extend a test
build period and instead of a week give a month for everyone to test
it, hope this allow reduce such problems.

And one important note: Struts doesn't follow the semantic versioning
pattern, 2 means Struts 2, 5 is the major number here, so 2.5.10 means
Struts 2 version 5.10 ;-)

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

Aleksandr Mashchenko
 > That would be awesome but it's hard if there are just few who test the
 > latest test build ;-) That being said, I'm going to extend a test
 > build period and instead of a week give a month for everyone to test
 > it, hope this allow reduce such problems.

Month seems like a long leap from the week, maybe we should extend it to
two weeks and see if we gain something from it.

Speaking of releases, maybe it is time to release 2.6? The whole static
methods to injectable beans logic is pretty big.

---
Regards,
Aleksandr

Re: Injectable LocaleProvider replaces with LocaleProviderFactory

>> That would be awesome but it's hard if there are just few who test the
>> latest test build ;-) That being said, I'm going to extend a test
>> build period and instead of a week give a month for everyone to test
>> it, hope this allow reduce such problems.
>
> Month seems like a long leap from the week, maybe we should extend it to two
> weeks and see if we gain something from it.
>
> Speaking of releases, maybe it is time to release 2.6? The whole static
> methods to injectable beans logic is pretty big.

It is but rather an internal issue, the only concern I have is with
LocalizedTextUtil which could be used by someone... but yeah, we can
think about 2.6 but then I would love to switch to Servlets 2.5 and
introduce the struts2-api :)