Developers - Thoughts on the next 2.5.x release

J C

Developers - Thoughts on the next 2.5.x release

J C
Hello Struts Developers.

Are any developers aware of functionality issues with Struts 2.5.20 that have not been addressed yet, but should be ?

Right now there are two GitHub PRs for Struts 2.5.x that could be reviewed (PR #353, PR #355) and potentially merged (if approved).

Does the development team feel that there have been enough changes/fixes to 2.5.x since 2.5.20 to consider prepping a 2.5.21 build ?

All the best,
James.

RE: Developers - Thoughts on the next 2.5.x release

Yasser Zamani-2
Hi James,

Yes. Jira link: https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20WW%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.5.21

>Right now there are two GitHub PRs for Struts 2.5.x that could be reviewed (PR
>#353, PR #355) and potentially merged (if approved).
>
>Does the development team feel that there have been enough changes/fixes to
>2.5.x since 2.5.20 to consider prepping a 2.5.21 build ?

No. Actually we should fix all or change their fix version.

Regards.

J C

Re: RE: Developers - Thoughts on the next 2.5.x release

J C
Hello Yasser (and developers).

Thanks for the responses and link.  According to the link the current list (with comments) of open "WW-" Jiras listing 2.5.21 as a fix version:

4999 - Lukasz indicated he was able to reproduce it.  Can anyone else reproduce it in 2.5.21-SNAPSHOT (and attach a reproducer to the Jira) ?
5011 - Yasser has a proposed fix awaiting approval/merge.  :)
5027 - Can anyone else reproduce it in 2.5.21-SNAPSHOT (and attach a reproducer to the Jira) ?
5031 - Produces warning in JDK11 (no impact on functionality).  Should it be addressed for 2.5.21, future 2.5.x or 2.6.x ?
5033 - Dependency version upgrades, awaiting review for approval/merge.
5034 - Small enhancement, awaiting review for approval/merge.

Can anyone on the dev list (or the Jira reporters themselves) provide reproducers for 4999 and 5027 using 2.5.21-SNAPSHOT ?  That would help verify if they are still issues or not (and help debug them if they still are).

Cheers.

On 2019/05/25 14:26:06, Yasser Zamani wrote:
 Hi James,

 Are any developers aware of functionality issues with Struts 2.5.20 that have not
 been addressed yet, but should be ?

 Yes. Jira link: https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20WW%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.5.21

 Right now there are two GitHub PRs for Struts 2.5.x that could be reviewed (PR

RE: RE: Developers - Thoughts on the next 2.5.x release

Yasser Zamani-2
>Hello Yasser (and developers).

Hello James,

FYI it seems we at Struts team also want to fix issues reported at https://lgtm.com/blog/apache_struts_double_evaluations

Please also see inline below regarding Jira issues:

>4999 - Lukasz indicated he was able to reproduce it.  Can anyone else reproduce
>it in 2.5.21-SNAPSHOT (and attach a reproducer to the Jira) ?

Yes and PR#357 proposed :)

>5011 - Yasser has a proposed fix awaiting approval/merge.  :)

Fixed (e.g. merged)

>5027 - Can anyone else reproduce it in 2.5.21-SNAPSHOT (and attach a
>reproducer to the Jira) ?

Closed as duplicate - I don't think it's a Struts issue. Please see my close comment there.

>5031 - Produces warning in JDK11 (no impact on functionality).  Should it be
>addressed for 2.5.21, future 2.5.x or 2.6.x ?

I think we should analyze failed Struts tests with --illegal-access=deny JVM option then if they weren't complicated and were backward-compatible to solve, then it's nice to fix them for 2.5.21 but I guess they aren't.

>5033 - Dependency version upgrades, awaiting review for approval/merge.

I'm not sure if this issue is OK (Lukasz?)  - AFAIK Jira needs separate issue for each dependency upgrade for clear output on release doc.

>5034 - Small enhancement, awaiting review for approval/merge.

(waiting for 2.6 equal PR)

Regards.