Action as Welcome File

roger
Sorry, I know that I've read about this here before, but I can't find the
thread. Can someone point me to how to configure an action as the "welcome"
file?

Re: Action as Welcome File

felipe.lorenz
Hi..

Did you try change in web.xml file? Change from index.jsp to
your_action.action!! i dont know if it work...

Felipe.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Roger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, I know that I've read about this here before, but I can't find the
> thread. Can someone point me to how to configure an action as the "welcome"
> file?
>
> Regards

Re: Action as Welcome File

James Neff-2
Felipe Lorenz wrote:

> Hi..
>
> Did you try change in web.xml file? Change from index.jsp to
> your_action.action!! i dont know if it work...
>
> Felipe.
>
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Roger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I know that I've read about this here before, but I can't find the
>> thread. Can someone point me to how to configure an action as the "welcome"
>> file?
>>
>> Regards

I would like to know if there is a better way to do this.

In my web.xml I have:

<welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

and in index.jsp I have:

     <%
        String redirectURL =
"http://localhost:8080/myproject/MyAction.action";
        response.sendRedirect(redirectURL);
    %>

Seems like a hack to me, but gets the job done.  Is there a more elegant
way?

--James

RE: Action as Welcome File

Ramez Hassan
Hi,
I guess you can do that by specifying the following in web.xml:
<welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>/actionnamespace/welcome.action</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

And also by adding the following filter mapping attributes in struts filter
dispatcher in order to be loaded which ever the type of dispatch by the web
container

<filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
        <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>
        <dispatcher>INCLUDE</dispatcher>
        <dispatcher>ERROR</dispatcher>
        </filter-mapping>

wrote:

>> Sorry, I know that I've read about this here before, but I can't find the
>> thread. Can someone point me to how to configure an action as the
"welcome"

>> file?
>>
>> Regards

I would like to know if there is a better way to do this.

In my web.xml I have:

<welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

and in index.jsp I have:

     <%
        String redirectURL =
"http://localhost:8080/myproject/MyAction.action";
        response.sendRedirect(redirectURL);
    %>

Seems like a hack to me, but gets the job done.  Is there a more elegant
way?

--James

Re: RE: Action as Welcome File

Stephan Schröder
> <filter-mapping>
>         <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>
>         <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
>         <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
>         <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>
>         <dispatcher>INCLUDE</dispatcher>
>         <dispatcher>ERROR</dispatcher>
> </filter-mapping>

this result in an xml-error: The content of element type "filter-mapping" must match "(filter-name,(url-pattern|servlet-name))".

> In my web.xml I have:
>
> <welcome-file-list>
>         <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
>     </welcome-file-list>
>
> and in index.jsp I have:
>
>      <%
>         String redirectURL =
> "http://localhost:8080/myproject/MyAction.action";
>         response.sendRedirect(redirectURL);
>     %>
>
> Seems like a hack to me, but gets the job done.  Is there a more elegant
> way?

Mine is slightly more elegant:
<welcome-file-list>
      <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

 and in index.html I have:

        <head>
        </head>
                one moment please...

Is this an initialisation issue or why doesn't <welcome-file>/public/index.action</welcome-file> work?

/Stephan

Re: Action as Welcome File

Randy Burgess-4
If you use an action as the welcome file you normally would also have to
create a file named welcome.action. I usually just create an empty file with
the appropriate name if I want to use an action as the welcome page.

Regards,
Randy Burgess
Sr. Software Architect
D5 Systems, LLC

> From: Ramez Hassan <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:43:10 +0200
> Subject: RE: Action as Welcome File
>
> Hi,
> I guess you can do that by specifying the following in web.xml:
> <welcome-file-list>
>         <welcome-file>/actionnamespace/welcome.action</welcome-file>
>     </welcome-file-list>
>

> And also by adding the following filter mapping attributes in struts filter
> dispatcher in order to be loaded which ever the type of dispatch by the web
> container
>
> <filter-mapping>
>         <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>
>         <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
>         <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>
>         <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>
>         <dispatcher>INCLUDE</dispatcher>
>         <dispatcher>ERROR</dispatcher>
>         </filter-mapping>

Re: Action as Welcome File

Ylva D
Hello James,

I had the same problem and another Struts 2 developer showed me one
way to do it. (I didn't get it to work to specify the action as a
welcome-file.) The solution is almost like you did. The only
difference is how you call the action from index.jsp. I don't know if
it's more elegant but this should also work (at the top of index.jsp):

-Just in case you wanted to know.

/Ylva